How to find us?
Virtual exhibition of “Aš, Lietuva ir Laisvė” drawing contest
Every year on January 13th we commemorate the Freedom Defenders‘ Day. This year, as Lithuania commemorates the 30th anniversary of this day, the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania to Canada organized a drawing contest „Aš, Lietuva ir Laisvė“ for children of Lithuanian descent in Canada.
“We are very happy that children from all over Canada took part in this meaningful initiative. It is very interesting to see what children think of Lithuania and Freedom. I sincerely thank the Lithuanian community in Canada, the Youth Association and Lithuanian schools across Canada for collaboration in implementing this project.
It is symbolic that on the 30th anniversary of the Freedom Defenders’ Day we have received over 30 drawings. The Canadian community actively joined Lithuania’s fight to freedom; therefore, the educating the new generation on this topic is especially important” – said ambassador Darius Skusevičius.
The drawing gallery can be found here: http://ca.mfa.lt/ca/lt/gallery/listing/id.454
The participants of the contest:
- Kotryna Tryon, 7 m., Vancouver BC
- Simona Tryon, 7 m., Vancouver BC
- Viktorija Patkačiūnaitė, 9 m., Mississauga ON
- Živilė Patkačiūnaitė, 13 m., Mississauga ON
- Liepa Spakauskas, 12 m., Toronto ON
- Lyra Spakauskas, 8 m., Toronto ON
- Neria Augutis, 9 m., Mississauga ON
- Levas Lelis, 7 m., Etobicoke ON
- Erika Phelan, 4 m., Sherwood Park AB
- Paulius Phelan, 5 m., Sherwood Park, AB
- Jacintha Dirmantaitė-Groen in't Woud, 16 m., Toronto ON
- Tessa Dirmantaitė-Groen in't Woud, 12 m., Toronto ON
- Marina Turcios Jaugelis, 11 m., Delta BC
- Kristofer Turcios Jaugelis, 8 m., Delta BC
- Emilija Rukaitė, 5 m., Toronto ON
- Erika Chandler, 5 m., Vancouver BC
- Daiva Mills, 7 m., Toronto ON
- Audra Katarina Stanevičius-Mills, 10 m., Toronto ON
- Rojus Mountain, 9 m., Vancouver BC
- Saulius Viskontas, 7 m., North Vancouver BC
- Tadas MacPherson, 6 m., Toronto ON
- Valentina Athari, 9 m., Kanata ON
- Antuan Athari, 12 m., Kanata ON
- Beatričė Stripeikytė, 8 m., Ottawa ON
- Saul Macijauskas, 6 m., Wasaga Beach, ON
- Sofia Sidhu, 6 m., Vancouver BC
- Adas Urbietis, 11 m., Mississauga ON
- Mia Ross, 5 m., Vancouver BC
We sincerely thank the participants! The Embassy will send out symbolic gifts to all participants soon.
We would also like to remind about other initiatives to mark January 13th:
- Virtual exhibition of Lithuanian Museum-Archives of Canada "Democracy - One Defining Moment": https://www.lithuanianheritage.ca/january-13/
- Virtual Tribute Run (walk) "Road of Life and Death" (9-17th of January): http://ca.mfa.lt/ca/en/news/virtual-tribute-run-walk-to-commemorate-the-day-of-freedom-defenders-in-lithuania
- Forget-Me-Not Campaign (9-17th of January): http://ca.mfa.lt/ca/en/news/forget-me-not-campaign
- Campaign "The Memory Is Alive Because It Testifies" (13th of January)
30 years ago today, citizens of Lithuania stood against the brutal assault of Soviet military and defended their country’s independence. To honor the memory of the victims of Soviet military aggression in Vilnius on January 13, 1991, His Worship Jim Watson, Mayor of Ottawa, has proclaimed January 13th, 2021 - the Freedom Defenders’ Day of Lithuania in Ottawa.
On the 30th anniversary of the events of January 13th, His Worship Jim Watson, the mayor of Canada‘s capital, plans to proclaim January 13th, 2021 as the Freedom Defenders’ Day of Lithuania in Ottawa. Proclamation is planned to be released on Wednesday. On January 13th, a meadow of forget-me-not flowers will bloom in front of the Heritage Building of Ottawa City Hall (195 Elgin St., Ottawa, ON K2P 2L7) in memory of the Lithuanian Freedom defenders.
On January 13th, 2021, Lithuania is marking the 30th anniversary of Freedom Defenders' Day to honor the memory of the victims of Soviet military aggression in Vilnius in 1991, when assault on Vilnius TV tower and Lithuanian Radio and Television resulted in the death of 14 civilians.
On 9th-17th of January 2021, we invite all Lithuanians living in Canada and friends of Lithuania to participate in the tribute run (or walk) „Road of Life and Death“, dedicated to remember and mark the 30th anniversary of the Day of Freedom Defenders.